Providing up-front tax-free payments to cover dental care for Canadian children under 12 in eligible families without access to private dental benefits
June 29, 2023 | Ottawa, Ont. | Health Canada
Proper dental care is a fundamental piece of health and well being. However, in Canada, a third of people do not have dental insurance, leaving many unable to visit an oral health professional to get the dental care they need. That is why, in December 2022, the Government of Canada launched the interim Canada Dental Benefit to help cover dental care expenses for eligible children under the age of 12.
During the first benefit period, from October 2022 to June 2023, the Canada Dental Benefit helped more than 315,000 children access the care they needed to develop healthy, bright smiles.
Today, the Honorable Jean-Yves Duclos, Minister of Health, and the Honorable Diane Lebouthillier, Minister of National Revenue, announced that applications for the second benefit period of the Canada Dental Benefit will open on July 1, 2023. Now, the second benefit period of the Canada Dental Benefit will provide even more eligible families with up-front, direct payments of up to $650 per eligible child under 12 for dental care services received between July 1, 2023, and June 30, 2024.
To access the second benefit period, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- They have a child or children under 12 as of July 1, 2023, and are currently receiving the Canada Child Benefit (CCB) for that child;
- They have an adjusted family net income of less than $90,000;
- Their child does not have access to private dental care coverage;
- They have filed their 2022 tax return; and
- They have out of pocket expenses for their child’s dental care services incurred in Canada between July 1, 2023, and June 30, 2024, for which the costs have not been fully covered under another federal, provincial or territorial government program.
Eligible parents can apply for the second benefit period quickly and easily through their Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) My Account. Those who apply online and are signed up for direct deposit can receive their payment within five business days. Those who are unable to apply online can call our new dedicated phone line at 1-800-715-8836 to complete their application with an agent.
Canadians deserve access to quality dental care, which we know is important not only for oral health, but for overall health. There is still much work to be done, but no one should have to choose between taking care of their teeth and paying their bills at the end of the month.